How to Add Color to Your Home Remodel for the Most Impact
March 24, 2021
Spring has sprung. Along with the promise of a new season comes a collective excitement for reviving our homes, fueled by a year spent confined within four walls.
If you’re looking for a home refresh, there are few better ways to lift your spirits and express your personality than through color.
Color can create a mood. In home design, color can make a small space feel larger and a large room feel cozy. It can be soothing, refreshing or inviting. So, which hue should you choose? It’s a question I get asked often by homeowners.
How to Choose Color for Your Home
- Start by deciding what mood or feel you’d like to create in your space. For inspiration and to get your ideas organized in one place, try creating a mood board on Pinterest. There’s no right or wrong way to make your board — simply browse and curate the images you connect with that evoke the mood you’re trying to create in your space. As a color scheme emerges, build on that palette to create your signature look. Check out this link for mood board ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/decor8/mood-boards/
- Identify your color scheme. Beyond your online mood board, look for inspiration in your own home: If you have wallpaper, a sofa, or a quilt that you love, pull a color from these items and repeat it in pillows, a rug, artwork, or a throw blanket. Whether you go bold with bright colors and patterns or stay neutral, try to stick with a unified color scheme and keep it consistent throughout your space from room to room. Be sure to look at the undertones of the colors you choose, sticking with warm earth tones, soft pastels, or cool jewel tones, for example.
- Infuse your home with color by applying it in unexpected ways, beyond just the walls and in textiles.
Budget-Friendly Ideas for Refreshing Your Home with Color
Transforming your space doesn’t have to be a huge investment. Paint and pops of color created by tile, wallpaper or carefully chosen appliances are an investment that everyone can afford.
- Paint your front door.
- Paint the inside of bookshelves or display cabinets.
- Paint your ceiling—a contrasting color or the same color as the walls.
- Add colorful appliances in your kitchen in a hue that matches or compliments your scheme.
- Paint your kitchen cabinets or island.
- Recover or paint your furniture.
- Use colorful tile—in the kitchen backsplash or bathrooms: walls, floors and showers.
- Hang wallpaper in a half bath or on one statement wall in the master bedroom.
This great HGTV article offers more designer tips and tricks for incorporating color in your home: https://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/color/top-10-tips-for-adding-color-to-your-space
Above all, choose colors for your home that speak to you. I’m all about a pink and grey combination—it just makes me happy. So, those are the colors in my bedroom. When I open my eyes in the morning, cheery pink is the first thing I see, and it just feels good—I enjoy the space! When you find a favorite color or combo, use it to make your home uniquely yours.
If you’re looking for more ideas and inspiration for how to use color in your home remodel, follow Dover Home Remodelers on Pinterest.
The best is yet to come,